There are many choices for Middle Eastern snacks and, fatayer is one of them, fatayer is a pie stuffed with minced meat/spinach/cheese. I like all three flavors but my favorite is cheese fatayer. It comes in different shapes and sizes like triangular shape for spinach fatayer and boat shape for meat or cheese. Originally cheese fatayer is made with feta and Akawi cheese, but if you cannot find Akawi cheese you could use mozzarella which is the closest. I have used both and flavor-wise, not much of a difference.
The fatayer can be made with lot of fillings like chicken, mutton, spinach, but my personal favorite is the Cheese Fatayer recipe. Traditionally the Cheese fatayer recipe is made with the akkawi cheese but you can make it with feta cheese or even mozarella cheese. I like to add half of feta and mozzarella together for the Cheese Fatayer recipe.
Can I Freeze The Dough Before Baking?
Yes, the dough can be made ahead and frozen without the filling. After the first rise, deflate the dough by punching out the air, cover tightly with a cling wrap and then with aluminum foil. Place it in a freezer bag and freeze it for up to 2 months. Thaw the dough in the refrigerator the day before using it. Proceed with shaping the dough and filling it with the cheese mixture. Bake it at 200°C preheated oven for 15- 18 minutes until slightly golden on the edges.
Can I Freeze After Baking It?
Yes, you can freeze after baking. Cool the fatayers completely, wrap them individually with cling wrap, and place it in a freezer bag. Freeze up to 3 months. To reheat you have to preheat the oven at 180°C and bake for 5-8 minutes.
- 21/2 cups all-purpose flour / maida
- 1 packet / 11 gms instant yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk lukewarm
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 4 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 2 tsp onion seeds
- 1 egg beaten
- Add yeast, sugar, salt and yeast to the milk.
- Add this milk to the all purpose flour and mix.
- Now add in the olive oil and knead for about couple of minutes. Cover with damp muslin cloth and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, make small dough balls.
- Meanwhile soak the feta cheese in cold water for 10 minutes changing the water twice.
- Crumble the feta cheese in a bowl, add the mozzarella cheese, egg, onion seeds and parsley and mix.
- Roll out the balls in an oval shape and place a tablespoon of the cheese mixture in the middle.
- Hold both the sides of the edges and fold like a boat as shown in the picture above.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 180 C for about 15 – 20 minutes. Serve hot.
This is a delicious recipe of the Arabic Fatayer dough.